Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Curating Material Networks

It's time to put OSE under the curatorial microscope!

Next week I shall be reflecting on the curatorial concepts of Open Source Embroidery explored at a symposium called 'Exhibiting the Lab' organised by I+C+i at the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB) on May 27th.

As the information about the event explains: it aims to explore the mutating exhibition genre in the 21st century, focusing on physical space and virtual scenarios. New terms such as 'evolving exhibitions', 'open exhibitions' or 'meta-exhibitions' will come under focus, along with the function of curators in this new context, and the influence of participation and collective creation in new working methodologies. The exhibition has gone into the laboratory, like most genres and formats. It is time for change.

My talk will explore the Open Source Embroidery project in terms of the curatorial facilitation of material networks, which is interesting after arguing for the immateriality of both digital and socially engaged art practices. But a material network is not the same as a material object. Instead the network is embedded or represented by the object, and the tension between object and process is maintained.

I'll be discussing the relationship between the physical and online aspects of artworks in the Open Source Embroidery exhibition which blur the boundaries of material / immaterial, spectator / participant, amateur / professional and process / object.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to find Linux compatible open source software to enable me to convert my graphic work into embroidery designs that will output in DST of OFM format.

Let me know if you come across any.

aruma said...

Hello my name is Sandra De Berduccy, I am a visual artist living and working in Bolivia. I write because I see with interest the debate and questions raised in these lectures. Well, my work since 2002 has been experiencing similar issues in the relationship weaving-technology . Looking for the most varied ways of linking traditional textile techniques in Latin America, especially in the Andean culture, with other artistic languages such as editing videos, installations, performances, etc.
I would like if possible, make contact with you and exchange experiences.
Thank you very much
Sandra