Thursday, January 29, 2009

Translating the YARN Text

Today was the last HUMlab Syjunta workshop in Sweden, and several people came to finish their patches. They were posted on the design board next to patches from the USA (see Amanda Thackray's patch pictured here) and the UK (thanks to Abi Gibbens and Alex Hodby).



Karin has translated the Yarn text into Swedish, which I'll post here as soon as its typed up. We had an interesting discussion about the translation of 'Yarn' which we decided was closer to 'Thread' rather than wool or ribbon. The thread of a story makes sense, even if the 'spinning a yarn' story telling as a big fib doesn't quite translate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to seeing my embroidered patch with its companions. I felt like I was a true participant to be making only part of a text that will only make sense once it is all aligned – I imagined what might come before and after (and above and below) and how this would look and read. I worried that the fabric I was using was too heavy, and that my words weren't legible enough. I drank coffee (as instructed) and ate Christmas cake.

We just moved house, and didn't have an internet connection: I think that if I had been online, then I wouldn't have stitched quite as quickly and consistently as I did. Emails are such a distraction...

Alex

Ele Carpenter said...

Hi Alex, I'm busy scanning in all the patches and will make everyone a little book of the whole text. look out for your post in March....
Ele